This Quilt Needs a Name…

I’m pleased to have this quilt top finished.!

finished top

The inspiration came from some fabric I saw last October in Healdsburg. I loved the fabric and couldn’t imagine how I would use it, which meant I wasn’t allowed to buy it. I did, however, decide it should be a whole quilt and I sketched up some ideas and left the store with a bunch of solid shot cottons and one batik.

Here is the original fabric, by the way, which I did end up buying later. It’s called Whisper by Janine Burke:

The quilt top is about 74″ by 80″ and is my biggest quilt top ever. It’s actually going to be big enough to fit on our bed and hang off the edges a little. I haven’t figured out how I am going to quilt it yet, but that didn’t stop me from buying about 5 different colors of thread that I can use to do some multi-colored quilting.

I constructed this quilt by first sticking a bunch of strips of the brown fabric to my wall, and cutting them to loosely follow some wavy lines I had put up there as well.

IMG_9284 IMG_9287I sewed borders of the different colors around them, then sewed little brown strips between each shape to form two long wavy shapes. IMG_9290 IMG_9296 I cut out more brown strips and pieced them into a long wavy shape to go in between, then sewed four loooooong curvy seams to get it all together. Cathleen’s kitties were particularly helpful during that last step.IMG_9299File Jul 04, 3 08 12 PM Since I’m still undecided on the quilting, and the back isn’t done yet either, this is a good time to come up with a good name. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Op Ivy Quilt in Progress

I’m home from retreat and want to share my progress on the Operation Ivy quilt! This project gave me a lot of trouble, primarily due to my poor planning. I usually plan everything out to the tiniest detail, but this project was more of a concept that required, “OK….What do I do next to clean up this mess?” at every step.

IMG_9323

Backing up a bit to the initial concept. The modern quilt group I’ve been going to has recently gone through some internal drama. Long story short, I wanted to make a statement to them about the reason I come to the group, which is for the most part the community of other quilters with an interest in modern quilting. Operation Ivy, being one of my all-time favorite bands, came to mind after the meeting felt like an attack on all quilters that stray from the modern ideal.  Specifically, Take Warning, with lyrics: “We say stand together! Not to fight. Just to exist.” So I set out to make an Op Ivy quilt. Because they’re cool, and I’m not so sure I can stand up and directly speak my mind any more in that group.

This project was full of new skills attempted and troubles encountered, mostly due to problems faced by attempting other new skills and previous bad decisions:

  • 1-inch finished squares
  • Fusing those squares to gridded interfacing before sewing all the seams
  • Figuring out what to do when said interfacing stretches and tears, destroying said grid
  •  Tracing a design onto back of fusible interfacing and forgetting that seam allowances will eventually cover up 7/16 of said design (almost half)
  • Making an improvised panel out of scraps (!)
  • Haphazardly free motion “tracing” the outline through to the front side
  • More interfacing, more tracing
  • Ironing this whole thing to somewhat-square and somewhat-flat
  • Sewing through up to 14 layers of assorted fabrics without breaking the thread or needle
  • Cutting around the panel to create raw edge applique

I started taking photos only after most of the way through the process.  The grid, partially sewn up, with the torn center removed:

IMG_9316

Figuring out the right size panel to make:IMG_9319

Free motion tracing the design to attach the panel, after ineffectively adding more interfacing:

IMG_9321

Initial trim around the appliqued figure:

IMG_9322

The finished top!

IMG_9323Now I get to decide how (or if) to quilt it!